Image by Leslee Mitchell.
Why is this blog called "deep hunger, deep gladness?" Take a trip to my first post and find out.
I'll wait while you read that.
I'm Mary Catherine, a 27-year-old Southern woman. I grew up in Alabama and recently moved from Birmingham to Asheville, North Carolina. I live with my husband, Jordan, and our 1 1/2 year old black labradoodle, Tom Hanks.
I graduated from Birmingham-Southern College with a degree in English, joined Teach For America in 2011, and had jobs working to end educational inequity since then. Last summer, I chose to leave the world of full-time employment to pour some energy into figuring out what I could do that best feeds my creative and people-loving soul. This is a start.
Things I love:
- My very close-knit family and our very close-knit friends
- MY DOG
- The United Methodist Church
- Potato products, starches, and carbs, pretty much indiscriminately
- Watching my favorite movies over and over again
- Funny and smart women (and people, generally, but especially women)
- Ice cream
- Exercising and not exercising, depending on what day you ask me
- The Office
- The first bite of something I really really wanted to eat
- Beautiful clothes
- Sarah Jessica Parker
- Good manners
- Singing, writing, and acting foolish
- Social media
- Cooking and baking, and experimenting with both
- Trying to empathize when I don't agree
- My husband, and how he never gets upset when I (constantly) accidentally physically hurt him
Things I do not love:
- The smell broccoli and onions leave in the house hours after you've cooked them
- People smacking their gum
- Ads or articles about animal abuse
- Social media (double edged sword)
- Constantly breaking things/accidentally hurting myself/being a klutz
- When guys shave their beard along their jawline
- The sinking realization that I just said something dumb
- Folks who don't care to try and walk in someone else's shoes
- How long it's taking for all children to have access to great education
- Heavy meats, like steak
- The feeling you get when you've watched way too much Netflix and kind of hate yourself