Oh my goodness.
Like many Gilmore Girls fans out there, I have been freaking out and watching all of the things in anticipation for this new series to be released.
"What are 'the things?'" you might ask.
So, suffice it to say that I have been amped for many moons. Word to the wise, that ATX festival interview basically serves as a podcast if you put headphones in and clean your house while listening. Just sayin'.
So yesterday, when it was announced that the series returns on NOVEMBER 25, meaning I'm basically going to spend my Thanksgiving holiday unapologetically huddled in front of the computer, I was real pumped.
AND THEN THE TRAILER CAME OUT.
Oh my gosh.
Can we just analyze?
First of all, I don't know about y'all, but with those first few guitar strums in the intro, I was COVERED in goosebumps.
We get to see so many places!
Luke's! It's still there!
The Dragonfly! (Where Melissa McCarthy better damn well be or so help me God...)
Precious lil' Stars Hollow in the fall!
Then, the money shot:
I mean, get out of here. It's so perfect. It hasn't changed a bit. Now all I want to do is go put twinkle lights outside my house.
AND THEN WE GET TO SEE OUR GIRLS.
Let's just run through a quick list of observations, shall we?
- Coffee. Still. Always.
- They're eating Pop Tarts. Still. Always.
- The house looks pretty much the same! Rory's Yale pennant can even be seen hanging on her bedroom mirror.
- Neither actress appears to have had any major work done to their faces. You laugh, but nothing spoils a reunion like bad plastic surgery.
- Lorela is wearing a Rachel Antonoff "I'm with Human" sweatshirt, but it's conveniently also nearly the same slogan as our Democratic presidential nominee. Including the arrow underneath the words, which mimics the arrow in Hillary's logo. Just sayin'.
- They're reading papers - actual newspapers - but have an iPhone on the table. This suggests to me that Stars Hollow is exactly where we left it, but Rory, who most likely doesn't live at home, has a foot in the tech-savvy world (as she always has).
- NEITHER WOMAN IS WEARING A RING. This is a big one. No engagement or wedding bands on any hands. Does this mean that we get to see Luke and Lorelai get married?!?! Or does this mean they aren't together. What. Oh man.
- They're talking about current celebrities who they would, of course, love - Amy Schumer and John Oliver. Hearing Lauren Graham say the names of modern-day celebs really made me so excited. So the reboot is set in real time, not in some other period in the last ten years.
- And everything else is pretty much a mystery.
So here are the fun questions we still get to have answered:
- What does Rory do for a living?
- Is either woman in a relationship? And, if so, who's the guy?
- How is Emily faring without Richard?
- What are Lane and Zack (and the twins) up to?
- Where does Rory live? Surely not too far away from SH.
- Kirk? Taylor? Miss Patty? Babette? I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER HOLY WOW.
I am a huge TV girl - I feel like these people are my friends. It's been so hard to watch beloved series come to an end: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, LOST, The Office, etc.; to have something as tender and precious as Gilmore Girls resurrected is pretty close to unbeatable. And to have it in the hands of the creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino (who was famously not part of the final season of the show) makes it that much better. We're back to our roots.
In other words,
Let's get ready to GILMORE.